Hockey India has decided to withdraw the national junior team from the annual Sultan of Johor Cup to be held later this year, citing injury concerns.
The Junior World Cup is to be held in India from December 1-11 and Hockey India believes there is little time to recover if in case of an injury. “We do not want to risk our campaign in the Junior World Cup,” a Hockey India official confirmed. India has been part of the tournament in all the previous editions.
The official also claimed that dates for the competition had been pushed back by the federation that forced India to pull out though Malaysian officials insist otherwise.
The sixth edition of the SOJC is to be held from October 31-November 6 in Johor Baru. India finished runner-up last year, losing to Great Britain on penalties. Japan has been drafted in as a replacement for the six-nation event that also features England, New Zealand Australia and Pakistan besides host Malaysia.
- Bahrain Grand Prix: F1 champion Verstappen of Red Bull on pole for season-opener
- Ranji Trophy semifinal: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off
- German Open 2024: Jolly-Gayatri bow out of quarterfinals, lose to Chinese pair of Jing-Min
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, MBSG 3-0 JFC, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku, Cummings, Petratos goals guide Mariners to comfortable win
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant cruises to win against Jamshedpur FC