Siva Subramaniam scripted a new National record as he secured the men’s pole vault title at the athletics arena of the National Games here on Monday.
Siva marginally improved his own record as he achieved 5.31m. His previous best of 5.30m had come in 2018.
The Services pole vaulter also shattered the 35-year-old Games record of 5.10m set by Vijay Pal Singh in Thiruvananthapuram.
Follow the National Games 2022 LIVE here
Gulveer Singh clocked 28:54.29 to win the men’s 10,000m crown with a new Games record. The previous record was in the name of G. Lakshmanan, who had done 29:13.10 seven years ago.
Kirpal Singh also set a new Games mark as he threw the discus to 59.32m. He went past Shakti Singh’s 1997 performance of 58.56m.
Nayana James beat World under-20 silver medallist Shaili Singh, who returned to action after an injury to do 6.28m, to bag the women’s long jump title with a leap of 6.33m
The results: (finals, winners only):
Men: 10000m: Gulveer Singh (SSCB) 28:54.29 (GR, Old: 29:13.50, G.Lakshmanan, Thiruvananthapuram, 2015); Pole vault: Siva Subramaniam (SSCB) 5.31m (NR, Old: 5.30m, Siva Subramaniam, Jalahalli, 2018; GR, Old: 5.10, Vijay Pal Singh, Thiruvananthapuram, 1987); Discus throw: Kirpal Singh (Pun) 59.32m (GR, Old: 58.56, Shakti Singh, Bangalore, 1997).
Women: 10000m: Seema (HP) 33:58.40; Long jump: Nayana James (Ker) 6.33m; Heptathlon: Swapna Barman (MP) 5663 points.
Latest on Sportstar
- Women’s Junior Asia Cup 2023: India ready for Malaysia challenge
- Swiatek no fan of ‘Iga’s Bakery’ memes after serving up another double bagel
- An Se Young defeats He Bingjiao in straight games, claims Thailand Open title
- WTC Final: Rahane stands at crossroads in his comeback Test
- Ravi Dahiya pulls out of from Bishkek Ranking Series after injury during warmup