As India finds itself in a deep hole against Italy in the Davis Cup, captain Mahesh Bhupathi was left to rue a missed break point opportunity in the first set of Ramkumar Ramanathan’s match against Andreas Seppi.
“We had half a chance and we didn’t take it,” Bhupathi said at the end of the opening day. “When you play players at this level and with that experience, and you don’t take your chances.….That's where I think the momentum swung.”
However, despite the reverse, Bhupathi put on a brave face. “We are all disappointed but all of us have played Davis Cup before and we understand the pressures of playing for the country. But tomorrow is a live day and stranger things have happened.”
“We’ve done it against China recently [coming back from 2-0 down]. But Italy is much better side. We knew we had a job on hand before the opening day. And we still have a job now but only that it’s harder. If you lose initiative, you are behind the eight ball immediately. Only way to turn the table is to now to win the doubles and get some momentum.”
Much will then depend on Rohan Bopanna and Divij Sharan, who will be playing their first Cup rubber together. Italian captain Corrado Barazzutti though chose not to reveal if the Simone Bolelli would line up alongside Marco Cecchinato or would there be a change in strategy.
- India golf squad for Asian Games 2023: Full teams for men and women
- Asian Games 2023, September 27 Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Esha Singh bags silver in 25m pistol, Samra wins 50m rifle 3p gold with new WR; Shiva Thapa loses
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Marsh, Warner attack early after Australia opts to bat vs India
- Shooting LIVE Score Asian Games 2023: Anant eyes gold in men’s skeet final; Sift wins gold with WR, India wins 25m women’s pistol team gold
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: India Men’s Doubles R-64, Manav Thakkar and Manush Shah in action