With Yuki Bhambri and Somdev Devvarman recovering from their injuries, India is set to field the same team in the upcoming Davis Cup World Group play-off against Spain, that beat South Korea 4-1 in July.
Saketh Myneni and Ramkumar Ramanathan will do the singles duty and legendary Leander Paes will yet again combine with Rohan Bopanna for the doubles rubber.
Paes and Bopanna had lost in the opening round of the Rio Olympics. It will be a humongous task for the Indian team to present a solid challenge to Spain, who boast 12 players in singles top-100.
Myneni, at 143th, is India's highest ranked player. It will be great for the fans if the iconic Rafael Nadal plays for Spain.
Nadal has said that this tie is on his schedule after the soon-to-start US Open but his visit to India will depend on how he performs at the last Grand Slam of the season.
It means that if southpaw, winner of 14 Grand Slams, reaches the semfinaal stage, his chances to come here will be quite dim. The AITA selection panel is likely to announce the team tomorrow.
- RCB-W vs MI-W live score, WPL 2024: Mumbai Indians 116/2 (13); Sciver-Brunt, Kerr control 132-run chase
- Red Bull’s Verstappen wins Bahrain Grand Prix to kick-off Formula 1 season
- ISL 2023-24: Bengaluru FC rides on Javi’s winner to beat Kerala Blasters, storms into top six
- Indian Sports News Wrap: March 2
- ISL 2023-24: Chennaiyin looks to surprise Odisha FC in last-ditch effort for top-six finish