Garbine Muguruza was beaten 6-1, 6-1 in just 48 minutes to Anett Kontaveit after the two-time Grand Slam champion lost three consecutive service games at the end of the first set and start of the second.
Kontaveit is into her fifth semifinal of the year as she seeks to win a third title in as many months after winning the Cleveland tournament in August and Ostrava in September.
Also, Aryna Sabalenka’s first tournament since testing positive for the coronavirus ended after only two matches.
The second-ranked Belarusian lost to Ekaterina Alexandrova 6-3, 6-4 Friday in the quarterfinals. Alexandrova will face Maria Sakkari in the semifinals.
Sakkari booked her semifinal spot by beating Simona Halep 6-4, 6-4 after holding off a late surge from the Romanian, who broke back twice from 5-1 down in the second set.
ALSO READ |
Sabalenka was playing in her first tournament since reaching the semifinals of the US Open last month. She then missed the tournament in Indian Wells, California, after a positive test for the coronavirus.
In the men’s draw, local fans are guaranteed to see a Russian finalist after Aslan Karatsev and Karen Khachanov each won their quarterfinal matches in straight sets and now meet in the semifinals.
Karatsev won 6-4, 6-3 against experienced Frenchman Gilles Simon and Khachanov defeated John Millman 7-6, 7-6 (4).
Two-time Kremlin Cup champion Marin Cilic swept past Pedro Martinez 6-1, 6-2 to set up a semifinal meeting with Ricardas Berankis, who beat Adrian Mannarino 6-2, 7-6 (1).
- Premier League: Man Utd slumps to humiliating 3-0 home loss to Bournemouth
- WPL 2024 Mini Auction: Kashvee, Vrinda turn heads as uncapped Indians, Capitals get Sutherland for record bid
- La Liga 2023-24: Bellingham goal not enough as Real Madrid draws against Betis away from home
- Serie A: Lazio dominates but draws 1-1 at 10-man Verona, Inter hosts Udinese
- ISL 2023-24 points table: Mumbai City FC fourth after win over Bengaluru FC