Prajnesh Gunneswaran's Los Cabos Open campaign came to an end on Thursday as he lost 6-4, 3-6, 2-6 to world number 28 Taylor Fritz.
The top-ranked Indian seized the early advantage by clinching the first set 6-4. After saving two breakpoints in his opening service game, Prajnesh broke the American in the fifth game to lead 3-2. There were no further breaks in the set and Prajnesh pocketed the first set on serve.
READ| Divij Sharan in quarterfinals of Los Calbos ATP 250 tournament and other Indian results
The second set saw both players hold serve until the seventh game and both players had breakpoint opportunities, but neither capitalised. However, Fritz sneaked ahead when he managed to break Prajnesh's serve in the eighth game and held on to bag the second set and force the tie to a deciding third set.
RELATED| Prajnesh stuns World No. 67 Millman in Los Cabos
Fritz, seeded fifth here, rode the momentum and claimed breaks in the third and seventh games to storm to a 5-2 lead and subsequently win the third set and seal his spot in the quarterfinals. The American will next face top seed Fabio Fognini.
Prajnesh earned 20 points, collected a prize money of $12,825 and is expected to gain two places on the ranking ladder.
Latest on Sportstar
- German federation mourns teenager’s death after youth tournament
- Sinner dumped out of French Open Round 2 by world no. 79 Altmaier in 5-hour 26-minute epic
- Swiatek defeats Liu, reaches French Open third round
- India vs Pakistan Live Score, Final: IND 2-0 PAK; Hundal scores second goal - Junior Asia Cup updates
- Indian sports news wrap, June 1