Prajnesh Gunneswaran's Los Cabos Open campaign came to an end on Thursday as he lost 6-4, 3-6, 2-6 to world number 28 Taylor Fritz.
The top-ranked Indian seized the early advantage by clinching the first set 6-4. After saving two breakpoints in his opening service game, Prajnesh broke the American in the fifth game to lead 3-2. There were no further breaks in the set and Prajnesh pocketed the first set on serve.
The second set saw both players hold serve until the seventh game and both players had breakpoint opportunities, but neither capitalised. However, Fritz sneaked ahead when he managed to break Prajnesh's serve in the eighth game and held on to bag the second set and force the tie to a deciding third set.
Fritz, seeded fifth here, rode the momentum and claimed breaks in the third and seventh games to storm to a 5-2 lead and subsequently win the third set and seal his spot in the quarterfinals. The American will next face top seed Fabio Fognini.
Prajnesh earned 20 points, collected a prize money of $12,825 and is expected to gain two places on the ranking ladder.
- Flintoff back to old self after horror crash: Trescothick
- Paris 2024 Women’s Football: We want to play at Olympics with right conditions, says Spain’s Caldentey
- Slovenia forward Benjamin Sesko tired of Erling Haaland comparisons after good start in Bundesliga
- BCCI records a rise of nearly 2200 crore rupees in revenue at Annual General Meeting 2023
- East Bengal vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, ISL 2023-24: Poor finishing leads to goalless draw between EB and JFC in their season opener