Adrian Mannarino made amends for his shock defeat to Thiemo de Bakker by putting defending champions France through to the quarter-finals of the Davis Cup at the expense of the Netherlands on Sunday.
Mannarino was given a late call-up in the absence of the injured Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Lucas Pouille and suffered a straight-sets loss to the 369-ranked De Bakker in the first rubber on Friday.
The holders turned the tie around on Saturday to take a 2-1 lead and Mannarino grasped the opportunity to make up for the disappointment of his loss on the opening day of the tie, beating Robin Haase in a tense five-setter.
France will be away to Italy in the last eight after Mannarino sealed a 3-1 victory, winning 4-6 7-6 (7-5) 7-5 6-7(2-7) 7-5 in Albertville.
"That does feel very good after Friday. I had a tough one on Friday, but actually playing on Friday was a good thing, because it meant I was more relaxed on court," said Mannarino.
David Goffin sealed Belgium's place in the quarter-finals, seeing off Marton Fucsovics 7-5 6-4 3-6 6-2 in Liege to give last year's runners-up an unassailable 3-1 lead.
Belgium will take on the United States, who wrapped up their tie against Serbia on Saturday, after Goffin came out on top in a baseline duel.
Spain knocked 2015 Davis Cup champions Great Britain out in Marbella, Albert Ramos-Vinolas preventing Cameron Norrie from pulling off another upset by winning 7-6 (7-4) 2-6 7-6 (7-4) 6-2.
Germany will be Spain's next opponents after Alexander Zverev beat Nick Kyrgios 6-2 7-6 (7-3) 6-2 to oust Australia.
Fabio Fognini regained his composure following a tantrum to seal a 3-1 win for Italy over Japan, while Croatia will take on Kazakhstan after beating Canada by the same margin.
- WPL 2024: Asha’s five-wicket haul helps RCB defeat UP Warriorz in a thriller
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bashir’s exploits, under Nostradamus Stokes, leave India in tatters
- Musheer Khan hits maiden double-century for Mumbai in Ranji Trophy quarterfinal against Baroda
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Anubhav, Kartikeya hand Madhya Pradesh first-innings lead against Andhra on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Musheer Khan’s double-century puts Mumbai in strong position on Day 2