Malek Jaziri affixed his stamp of class as he drove Gurgaon Sapphires to a 93-71 victory over Paramount Proec Tigers in the final of the Pro Tennis League at the RK Khanna Stadium here on Sunday.
Gurgaon started a bit shaky in the final, as it trailed 27-28 after three of nine rubbers. Sidharth Rawat, Shivank Bhatnagar and Sahira Singh kept the Tigers ahead, but Sharmada Balu turned the tide with a 13-7 victory over Farhat Aleen Qamar.
It was going even after two more rubbers, before Jaziri, a former world No. 42, clinched it with a 19-11 victory over the young Karan Singh.
Nitin Kumar Sinha and Faisal Qamar further consolidated the position so well with a 13-7 victory over Vishnu and Shivank, that Gurgaon needed only six points in the last rubber, which carried 30 points.
Earlier, Tigers had pipped DMG Delhi Crusaders 93-92 when the former needed only 11 points from the last rubber. Vishnu and Karan had scripted an unforgettable win by beating Niki Poonacha and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan 20-10.
Knowing the prowess of its final opponent, Gurgaon, which had a solid win over Stag Babolat Yoddhas in its semifinals, handled the final with competence to be quickly home with the trophy.
The best player awards in various categories were presented to Sahira Singh, Zeeshan Ali, Shivank Bhatnagar, Karan Singh, Sharmada Balu, Sidharth Rawat, Malek Jaziri and Vishnu Vardhan.
- ICC World Cup final Presentation Ceremony Highlights: Kohli wins Player of the Tournament award, Head named PoTM after Australia beats India
- IND vs AUS, World Cup 2023 Final Reactions: Social media reacts as Australia wins sixth title
- ODI World Cup: Australia saved its best for the last, says captain Cummins after beating India in WC final
- Rahul Dravid, Rohit Sharma denied World Cup glory yet again
- Mohammed Siraj gets emotional after World Cup final loss to Australia