Adille Sumariwalla, the Athletics Federation of India president, will fight to be the IAAF vice-president when the world governing body holds its 52nd Congress in Doha in September, 2019.
Sumariwalla, a member of the IAAF council, will be one of the 11 candidates in contention to win one of the four vice-president posts. The four vice-presidents will sit on the powerful IAAF Executive Board along with the president and three professional employees.
There must be at least one female member out of the four elected vice-presidents.
Sumariwalla has also filed his candidature for the post of the individual council member as it is allowed under the IAAF election rules. Forty candidates are contesting for the 13 seats. “Primarily, he is contesting for the post of vice-president and if he wins he will get a seat in the powerful Executive Board. If not, he can contest for the individual council member’s position,” according to a source.
The elective Congress will be held on September 25-26 in Doha just before the start of the World Championships.
- Junior Hockey World Cup 2023: India needs to guard against complacency against Spain
- Pakistan captain Shan Masood hits century in Australia warm-up
- Former champion Wozniacki handed Australian Open wildcard
- IPL auction 2024: Full list of squads, players after retention day
- Manchester United vs Chelsea: Top five Premier League clashes