Defending champion Sam Querrey and Brit Kyle Edmund eased into the Delray Beach Open second round on Monday.
Querrey, winner of the ATP 250 event in Florida last year, led Dudi Sela 6-2, 2-1 when the Israeli retired.
The fourth-seeded American wildcard had broken three times before Sela, who had won two of their previous four meetings, called it quits.
The only other seed in action was Edmund, who crushed Frenchman Adrian Mannarino 6-3, 6-0.
Talented American teenager Taylor Fritz brushed past qualifier Akira Santillan 6-4, 6-4 and Yoshihito Nishioka beat Kimmer Coppejans 6-3, 6-3.
The day's only three-setter saw Lu Yen-hsun battle past wildcard Bjorn Fratangelo 4-6, 7-5, 6-4.
Latest on Sportstar
- Women’s Junior Asia Cup 2023: India thrashes Uzbekistan 22-0 in opener
- Formula 1: Mercedes still on the lookout for a return to glory days
- Two pole vaulters part of Asian U-20 Athletics C’ships team leave for Korea but their poles stuck at Delhi airport
- FA Cup Final, Manchester United vs Manchester City: Live streaming info, Predicted XI, Preview
- Manchester Utd still has progress to make in bid to restore former glory, says Ten Hag