India’s Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty were stunned by Japan’s Akira Koga and Taichi Saito in the first round of the Singapore Open 2023 on Wednesday.
The fifth seeded Indian duo lost to the Japanese pair 18-21, 21-14, 18-21 in a match that went on for over an hour.
India’s poor spell continued in the women’s doubles when the pair of Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand lost to Yeung Nga Ting and Yeung Pui Lam of Hong Kong in the round of 32.
The pair, after going down 14-21 in the first game, made a comeback after a good fight, winning 21-18. The decisive game came to a brutal end for the pair after another valiant fight as it lost 19-21 to crash out of the tournament.
- Women’s World Cup 2023: Which WWC stars find a place in the team of the tournament?
- BWF Badminton World Championships 2023, Day Two: Indians in action, IST Timings, streaming info
- World Athletics Championships 2023: Grant Holloway wins third straight gold medal in 110m hurdles
- Video - World Athletics Championships 2023: Daniel Stahl wins discus gold with championship record throw on final attempt
- Triple jumper Zango wins Burkina Faso’s first-ever World Championship gold medal in Budapest