Indian boxer K Shyam Kumar (49kg) clinched a gold medal at the Thailand International Tournament in Bangkok without even stepping inside the ring for his summit clash, today.
Shyam, who won a gold at the 2015 edition of the event, was to take on Olympic champion Hasanboy Dusmatov of Uzbekistan in the final.
However, Dusmatov pulled out of the bout owing to an injury, giving the Indian his second gold medal at the event.
Earlier, Rohit Tokas (64kg) had lost in the semi-finals to settle for bronze medal. Incidentally, Rohit had won a bronze medal in the 2015 edition as well. India thus finished the tournament with two medals.
The country had sent a seven-strong team for the event, of which four boxers lost in the opening round.
- Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopi Chand - Double(s) delight for Indian badminton
- Hockey India: Statements by outgoing officials claiming divisions within the organization are not correct
- NBA roundup: Cavs’ Max Strus hits half-court winner at buzzer
- Uday Saharan wins Emerging Hero award at the Sportstar ‘Focus Punjab’ Conclave
- WPL 2024: Royal Challengers Bangalore looks to maintain win-streak as it faces Delhi Capitals