Olympic bronze medallist Vijender Singh is all set to headline a pro boxing event ‘Rumble In The Jungle’ at the Balbir Singh Juneja Indoor Stadium in Raipur, Chhattisgarh in August. This is going to be only his sixth bout in India.
Vijender, 36, who is currently training in Manchester, said, “I am extremely thankful to the Chhattisgarh government, especially Hon'ble Chief Minister, Mr. Bhupesh Baghel ji for granting their consent to hold my next professional bout. It’s a great opportunity to introduce the sport to the people of the state. Hopefully, this can inspire a new generation of boxers. I look forward to starting my unbeaten streak again."
Vijender, having turned professional in 2015, was on an unbeaten streak, which was broken only in his previous bout in Goa (professional record: 12-1; eight knockouts).
“Promoting sports for the current and next generation is extremely important for the state. Having someone of the stature of Vijender who has made the country proud at the Olympics will inspire young athletes throughout the state. The dedication that he has shown towards promoting sports aligns with us,” Baghel said.
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 2: IND 146/4, trails by 207; Jaiswal, Sarfaraz rebuild innings
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 2 Updates: Musheer scores double century; TN takes lead vs Saurashtra
- WPL 2024: RCB, Smriti Mandhana look to shake off poor 2023 season, eye turnaround in campaign opener vs UP Warriorz
- Ranji Trophy 2024 Quarterfinal: Musheer Khan hits maiden double century, puts Mumbai in command against Baroda
- Pakistan to host New Zealand for five-match T20 series ahead of 2024 World Cup