India’s D. Gukesh won the Gijon Chess Masters here on Friday, with eight points out nine rounds. GM Alexandr Fier of Brazil finished second with 6.5 points while International Master Pedro Antonio Gines of Spain came third scoring six points. In the ninth and last round, Gukesh drew with Cuba’s GM Martinez Duany.
With the win, Gukesh took his FIDE rating to 2693. If he crosses the Elo rating of 2700, Gukesh could well become the sixth Indian to do so after Viswanathan Anand, Krishnan Sasikiran, P. Harikrishna, Vidit Gujarati and B. Adhiban.
Latest on Sportstar
- ISSF Junior World Cup: Gautami Bhanot, Abhinav Shaw win 10m air rifle mixed gold
- England spinner Jack Leach ruled out of Ashes 2023
- Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao; La Liga LIVE: Kick-off in Benzema’s last game; Streaming Info; Lineups
- Gundogan is HIM: Man City midfielder stakes claim to be best signing of Guardiola era
- Indian sports news wrap, June 4