India’s D. Gukesh won the Gijon Chess Masters here on Friday, with eight points out nine rounds. GM Alexandr Fier of Brazil finished second with 6.5 points while International Master Pedro Antonio Gines of Spain came third scoring six points. In the ninth and last round, Gukesh drew with Cuba’s GM Martinez Duany.
With the win, Gukesh took his FIDE rating to 2693. If he crosses the Elo rating of 2700, Gukesh could well become the sixth Indian to do so after Viswanathan Anand, Krishnan Sasikiran, P. Harikrishna, Vidit Gujarati and B. Adhiban.
- Ranji Trophy 2024 semifinals Live Score Updates: Shardul removes Vijay to leave Tamil Nadu eight down
- CSK training camp ahead of IPL 2024 gets underway
- Indian boxers renew quest for Paris Olympic quotas in Italy
- NBA roundup: Celtics routs Mavs in 10th straight win
- Indian trio draws on a dull day in Prague Masters Chess tournament