Abdullah Shafique struck his maiden double hundred and Agha Salman smashed a rapid unbeaten 132 as Pakistan looked poised for a 2-0 series sweep after thoroughly dominating the second Test against Sri Lanka on Wednesday.
Having bundled out Sri Lanka for 166, Pakistan racked up 563-5 on day three and the lead of 397 makes it unlikely the visitor would need to bat again at the Sinhalese Sports Club Ground. Salman’s 148-ball blitz included 15 fours and a six.
Mohammad Rizwan was batting on 37 at the other end after replacing Sarfaraz Ahmed, who suffered a concussion after being hit on the back of his helmet while trying to duck under a bouncer from Asitha Fernando.
That was the only setback for Pakistan on a day when its batters toyed with the Sri Lankan attack after resuming on 178-2.
Skipper Babar Azam (39) could not convert the start he got but Shafique took a single off Fernando to bring up his fourth Test hundred.
Shafique forged a 109-run stand with Saud Shakeel (57) as Pakistan’s lead continued to swell.
After Shakeel fell and Sarfaraz retired hurt, Shafique and Salman combined in a 124-run partnership to effectively bat Sri Lanka out of the contest.
Shafique took a single off Fernando to reach the 200-mark but soon fell to spinner Prabath Jayasuriya. Shafique’s 201 contained 19 fours and four sixes.
Pakistan won the opening Test in Galle by four wickets.
- Al Nassr vs Persepolis LIVE Score, NAS 0-0 PER, AFC Champions League 2023-24: Cristiano Ronaldo’s team down to 10 men
- ISL 2023-24: Super sub Victor Rodriguez brings three points home for FC Goa against Jamshedpur FC as it goes on top of the table
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC Highlights, AFC Cup: MBSG 2-5 OFC, Juggernauts beat Mariners to stay second
- Prannoy, Lakshya withdraw from Syed Modi International 2023
- Hockey Nationals 2023: Defending champions Haryana to face Punjab in the final