Mohammad Shahazad suspended from all forms of cricket for one year

Earlier this year, the board had suspended Shahzad’s contract indefinitely and said that the Discipline Committee will meet to take a decision soon.

ACB said that Shahzad was called for questioning by the board in relation to a disciplinary matter during the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup which he did not attend.   -  GETTY IMAGES

Afghanistan’s Mohammad Shahzad will not be allowed to play any form of cricket for a period of one year as the wicket-keeper batsman has been suspended by Afghanistan Cricket Board’s (ACB) Discipline Committee for violating ACB’s disciplinary rules. ACB, on Sunday, said that Shahzad breached its Code of Conduct for players repetitively.

“Shahzad has violated ACB’s disciplinary rules and regulations previously as well and has not adhered to ACB’s Code of Conduct for players. He has travelled out of the country several times violating ACB’s policy for players to seek its permission before doing so,” ACB said in a statement.

Earlier this month, the board had suspended Shahzad’s contract indefinitely and said that the Discipline Committee will meet to take a decision soon. Now, time period for Shahzad’s suspension has been decided to be one year long.  Shahzad was ruled out of the 2019 World Cup on June 7 due to a knee injury. However, he said that his injury was not severe and it was the board which needed to be blamed for his withdrawal from the team.

However, the cricketing body said that Shahzad was called for questioning by the ACB in relation to a disciplinary matter during the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup  which he did not attend.

“Mohammad Shahzad did not attend meetings scheduled with the Discipline Committee on 20th and 25th of the last month,” ACB had earlier stated