In the entire season against India, the South African cricket team kept dealing with injury blows and there seems to be no end to their problems. Ahead of the first Test against Australia in Durban on March 1, the Proteas will miss the services of Temba Bavuma and Dale Steyn; even skipper Faf du Plessis is doubtful.
AB de Villiers and Quinton de Kock are likely to recover just in time for the Kingsmead battle, but Du Plessis — out with an injured index finger since the first ODI against India — may require more time to be match-fit.
Steyn made a mini comeback against India at Cape Town (2/51) but a ligament tear saw him limp out of the ground. He will miss the first two Tests against Australia.
Bavuma, who has a broken finger, is expected to be available for the second Test in Port Elizabeth.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Badoni’s 87 in vain as Uttarakhand beats Delhi by 51 runs
- IND-W vs ENG-W: This tour is going to be valuable as T20 World Cup will offer similar conditions, says England captain Heather Knight
- Bangladesh coach warns against complacency ahead of second New Zealand Test
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Kartikeya Kak, Rahul Singh star for Hyderabad in easy win over Meghalaya
- Serrano vacates title after WBC refuses to let her fight under same rules as men