England all-rounder Ben Stokes set an England Test record when he caught Anrich Nortje off the bowling of James Anderson on the third day of the second Test against South Africa at Newlands on Sunday.
It was his fifth catch of the innings, all held at second slip. In England’s previous 1,019 Test matches, there had been 23 instances of four catches in an innings, most recently by England captain Joe Root against Ireland at Lord’s last year.
Stokes equalled the world Test record of five catches, which had been achieved 11 times previously, most recently by Steve Smith of Australia in 2017/18, also at Newlands.
- Euro 2024: Germany to Spain, Italy and Croatia in group of death
- Premier League: Arsenal beats Wolves to go four points clear at top
- Vaishali, India’s third female Grandmaster, is making all the right moves
- IPL 2024 Auction: Scouts reveal domestic middle-order batters, fast bowlers likely to be hot property on December 19
- EURO 2024 full schedule: Complete list of matches, groups, kick-off time, venues, live streaming info