- July 14, 2023 17:28South Zone 181/7, leads by 248 runs - Stumps
The play doesn’t resume and the stumps have been called for the day. Another start-stop kind of a day but no long delays due to rain. West got all out earlier in the day and then South with the help of Hanuma Vihari and Mayank Agarwal’s 70-run stand get to 181/7 and stretch the lead to 248 runs.
South will definitely be a happier side at the end of the day. However, with two more days left, West will look to fancy its chances to chase down the target with its long batting lineup.
- July 14, 2023 16:57South Zone 181/7 in 60 overs
The light meter is out and the players are walking back. Badlight stops play.
- July 14, 2023 16:53South Zone 179/7 in 59 overs
With the light fading, spinners into the attack from both ends. Shams Mulani comes from pavilion end.
- July 14, 2023 16:49South Zone 179/7 in 58 overs
Light meter is out again and umpires are satisfied to continue the game.
- July 14, 2023 16:43South Zone 179/7 in 57 overs
Sai Kishore slogs Dharmendrasinh Jadeja over long on for a six. On the next ball, he tries to go over again but gets caught by Suryakumar Yadav, who had to run behind. There was a collision as well but Suryakumar keeps the ball in control. However, substitute fielder Arpit Vasavada injures his hand and is taken off the field.
- July 14, 2023 16:39South Zone 173/6 in 56 overs
Sai Kishore slashes hard over covers for a four! Width on offer and easy pickings against Nagwaswalla. Perhaps a salt in the wound for the bowler who had just dropped Sai Kishore a few overs before.
- July 14, 2023 16:31South Zone 168/6 in 55 overs
A huge appeal by West after Sundar gets beaten trying to sweep Jadeja and the ball is caught at second slip. The umpire says not out, discussion happens but West doesn’t review.
- July 14, 2023 16:17South Zone 164/6 in 52 overs
R Sai Kishore smashes one high into the air but Arzan Nagwaswalla drops it. It was long way into the air and Nagwaswalla at covers had to run back a bit. He reached but drops it. A lifeline for Sai Kishore.
- July 14, 2023 16:03South Zone 156/6 in 50 overs
One brings two! Dharmendrasinh Jadeja traps Ricky Bhui in front. But the batter reviews it immediately. Three reds and the decision stays. South loses two set batters in two balls.
- July 14, 2023 16:01South Zone 154/5 in 49 overs
150 up for South! Atit induces another edge but it goes over the slips and Sachin Baby gets another boundary.
However, Atit gets his revenge as he clean bowls Baby. The ball just nipped back in and through the defense of the left-hand batter. A timely dismissal for West. End of 59-run stand between Bhui and Baby.
- July 14, 2023 15:52South Zone 146/4 in 47 overs
South batters are living on the edge whenever they run. Another close call and another batter survives a runout chance. Sachin Baby survives.
- July 14, 2023 15:42South Zone 135/4 in 45 overs
Nagwaswalla induces an edge off Ricky Bhui’s bat and it goes between the gap between keeper and the first slip. Although Harvik Desai stretched and got his fingers to the ball, but the ball raced away for four. A chance missed.
- July 14, 2023 15:34South Zone 128/4
The third session begins. Jadeja to Sachin Baby.
- July 14, 2023 15:13South Zone 128/4 in 43 overs - Tea
The players break for Tea on day three. South Zone has got a 195-run lead while West has got four wickets including that of a solid-looking Hanuma Vihari. The runs aren’t coming easily for South but the wicket is still good to bat.
- July 14, 2023 15:01South Zone 122/4 in 40 overs
Shams Mulani is brought back into the attack. Two overs he has bowled so far and conceded 15 runs. Let’s see how this spell goes for the left-arm spinner.
- July 14, 2023 14:50South Zone 112/4 in 38 overs
South slowly but steadily growing its lead, which is now 179 runs.
- July 14, 2023 14:40South Zone 110/4 in 36 overs
Dharmendrasinh Jadeja into the attack and Ricky Bhui sweeps him for a four.
- July 14, 2023 14:36South Zone 105/4 in 35 overs
100 up for South Zone and it comes through a boundary off new batter Sachin Baby’s bat who pulls it towards fine leg. Follows it with another four through the square leg. Two back-to-back boundaries for South here. Atit continues with his short ball tactics.
- July 14, 2023 14:24South Zone 95/4 in 33 overs
A huge appeal for caught behind and West Zone players make a huge appeal but umpire says its not out. The players are convinced though and take DRS. Ultraedge shows a faint edge and that means its the end of Hanuma Vihari’s innings. He goes for a well made 42. Atit Sheth gets the breakthrough.
- July 14, 2023 14:20Play resumes
And after a very short break the players are back in the middle.
- July 14, 2023 14:13South Zone 95/3 in 32.1 overs
Hanuma Vihari is looking solid, guiding his team to a strong lead. South is closing in on 100-run mark and the lead is now 162.
The light meter is once again out. Umpires checking it and decide to once again stop the game.
- July 14, 2023 13:58South Zone 90/3 in 30 overs
Another close runout chance! Miscommunication between the two batters found Ricky Bhui haflway down the crease and then returning after Vihari says no. He dives and is just back in time before the keeper could remove the bails.
- July 14, 2023 13:54South Zone 89/3 in 29 overs
Nagwaswalla continues with his short ball tactics. Vihari and Ricky Bhui playing it safely. Runs not coming easily for South.
- July 14, 2023 13:42South Zone 84/3 in 27 overs
Nagwaswalla creates another opportunity but Hanuma Vihari is safe. Short ball and Vihari went for a pull but gets a top edge but the ball lands safely behind the keeper. The ball hit Vihari on the gloves and he requires a bit of medical treatment.
Vihari follows it up with a backfoot punch towards covers for a four.
- July 14, 2023 13:29South Zone 76/3 - play resumes
After a 20-minute break, the players are back on the field. The sun is out at M.Chinnaswamy Stadium. Nagwaswalla to continue. Ricky Bhui is the new batter in.
- July 14, 2023 13:08South Zone 76/3 in 24 overs
The light meter is out after one over again and this time umpires decide to stop the game due to poor light.
- July 14, 2023 13:03South Zone 72/3
The light meters are out again. Umpires say its good enough to continue.
- July 14, 2023 12:59South Zone 72/3 in 23 overs
Nagwaswalla strikes as he gets Mayank Agarwal caught who was trying to pull a short ball. The players are celebrating but umpires have stopped Mayank to check for the no ball for above shoulder height. Third umpire is checking and says its at the shoulder height and gives it OUT. Mayank Agarwal not happy with the decision.
- July 14, 2023 12:48South Zone 69/2 in 21 overs
And Mayank Agarwal straight away hits two back-to-back fours off Shams Mulani to begin the session. Two loose deliveries by the left-arm spinner. Third boundary of the over. A great start for South in this session.
- July 14, 2023 12:43South Zone 57/2 - Second session
The players are back in the middle. West will need to keep taking wickets otherwise South might runaway with the game having a lead of 124 runs and two set batters at the crease.
- July 14, 2023 12:07South Zone 57/2, leads by 124 runs
A very entertaining first session on day three saw West getting bowled out in the first 30 minutes with Vidwath Kaverappa getting his career-best figures of 7/53. West started brilliantly with the ball, getting Samarth and Tilak Varma early and reducing South Zone to 8/2.
However, after that Vihari and Mayank have done well to not let West overtake the game with an unbeaten 49-run partnership in 94 balls.
- July 14, 2023 12:01South Zone 57/2 in 20 overs - Lunch
Another runout opportunity and another miss! Vihari hit it towards the mid-wicket and Mayank came halfway down the wicket but was sent back by his captain. If the throw would have been good and Nagwaswalla had hit it despite being very close to the stumps, Mayank would have been out.
The runout is followed by a half-hearted LBW appeal but the ball was pitched down the leg side. On the last ball, Nagwaswalla induces an edge and the ball goes in the gap between the slip and the gully fielder.
An eventful over before the Lunch.
- July 14, 2023 11:55South Zone 50/2 in 18 overs, leads by 115 runs
Fifty up for South! After two early wickets, Vihari and Mayank have stabilised the innings well.
And Shams Mulani is into the attack.
- July 14, 2023 11:47South Zone 48/2 in 17 overs
A close runout chance missed. It was a quick throw by Shams Mulani but Vihari was into the crease just at the right time and is saved.
- July 14, 2023 11:39South Zone 45/2 in 16 overs
Atit is in the middle of a great spell. Has beaten the bat a lot in his four overs so far.
- July 14, 2023 11:22South Zone 37/2
Right after the drinks break, a huge appeal for caught behind against Mayank Agarwal and the umpire gives it. Agarwal straightaway reviews and the ultraedge shows no edge and the decision is reversed. Not Out.
Chintan Gaja has keeper standing up at the wickets.
- July 14, 2023 11:13South Zone 37/2 in 11 overs
Late cut and a four. It was played too late towards the deep third. Rather too close to the body? But Mayank looked in complete control in that shot, knew what he was doing.
- July 14, 2023 11:04South Zone 33/2 in 10 overs
Atit Sheth comes into the attack and is welcomed with a boundary by Vihari, who flicks it towards the mid-wicket.
And the light meter is out again. The umpires check and think its good enough to continue.
- July 14, 2023 10:57South Zone 22/2 in 8 overs
And Mayank is off the mark with four towards the cover region.
- July 14, 2023 10:50South Zone 17/2 in 7 overs
Another beautiful drive by Vihari through the covers. Where Mayank Agarwal is yet to open his account after playing 22 balls, number four batter Vihari has already scored two great shots for four in six deliveries.
- July 14, 2023 10:40South Zone 12/2 in 5 overs
Nagwaswalla sends the off-stump on a walk. Tilak Varma OUT! A beautiful delivery that just nips into the left-hander and Tilak gone for three. South two down and West is crawling back into the game.
Hanuma Vihari starts things with a perfectly timed cover drive but a successful over West comes to an end.
- July 14, 2023 10:32South Zone 8/1 in 4 overs
R Samarth OUT! Chintan Gaja gets the breakthrough as he clean bowls Samarth. The ball bounced a bit low then expected that completely beats the batter.
Tilak Varma comes to the crease.
- July 14, 2023 10:31South Zone 5/0 in 3 overs
Another LBW appeal turned down. Intense discussions if the review is needed and they decide not to take it.
- July 14, 2023 10:29ICYMI - Kaverappa records second-best bowling figures by a pacer for South Zone
- July 14, 2023 10:23South Zone 1/0
First ball by Chintan Gaja and a loud LBW shout. Anil Choudhary gives not out but South thinks its close and it takes a review. The ball is missing the stumps and the decision stays.
- July 14, 2023 10:20South Zone 1/0 in 1 over, leads by 68 runs
A good first over by Nagwaswalla. Getting a hint of swing. One close LBW appeal too.
- July 14, 2023 10:17South 0/0, leads by 67 runs
Arzan Nagwaswalla with the new ball. R Samarth and Mayank Agarwal opening for South.
- July 14, 2023 10:05West Zone 146/10
Arzan Nagwaswalla goes on the first ball and Kaverappa gets his seventh wicket. A faint edge and a simple catch to the keeper. 7/53 is Kaverappa’s best figures in FC cricket.
West Zone all out for 146, South leads by 67 runs.
- July 14, 2023 10:03West Zone 146/9
Kaverappa gets his sixth wicket! And this time its Atit Sheth who edges the ball and Ricky Bhui takes a brilliant full stretch diving catch to his right. West nine down now.
- July 14, 2023 09:49West Zone 142/8 in 49 overs
Kaverappa strikes and he completes his fourth five-wicket haul in the First-Class cricket. The ball just nips back into the left-hander Jadeja and there was a gap between bat and pad, the ball crashes into the stumps. A terrific start for South.
Chintan Gaja is the new batter and he takes a single straight away. Kaverappa bowls short to Atit and he pulls it for a four towards square leg - a great shot and the first four of the morning.
- July 14, 2023 09:43West Zone 135/7 in 47 overs
Atit and Jadeja dealing in singles here. Running at every opportunity they get. Interestingly, the field is quite open to take a run easily.
Both Vyshak and Kaverappa mixing lengths here and testing the two batters with short balls as well.
- July 14, 2023 09:37West Zone 132/7 in 46 overs
Vidwath Kaverappa into the attack in the second over of the day from the pavilion end.
- July 14, 2023 09:33West Zone 129/7 in 45 overs
V Vyshak with the ball. Atit Sheth at the strikers’ end. The day begins.
- July 14, 2023 09:31Players are out in the middle
Umpires have entered the field. South Zone is in the huddle while Atit Sheth and Dharmendrasinh Jadeja walk out as well.
Should be an exciting day ahead especially with an optimistic weather ahead in the day with only 21% chance of rain.
- July 14, 2023 09:15A milestone for Cheteshwar Pujara
During Pujara’s short stay at the crease yesterday, he managed to achieve yet another milestone in his career as he became the fifth-highest run-scorer among Indian in the First Class cricket.
- July 14, 2023 08:55Day 3 up for grabs
A good morning to all our readers. The third day of the Duleep Trophy final between South Zone vs West Zone is here.
Yesterday was another rain-hit day with only 58.4 overs of play possible. However, during all the stoppages, whatever play was possible, South gained a massive advantage at the end as it left West seven down on 129 runs with 84 runs still to trail.
Prithvi Shaw was the only one who looked in good touch while he was batting for his 65. Harvik Desai too played decently well for his 21. The duo added 70 runs for the second wicket but after that, it was all about South, especially Vidwath Kaverappa, who picked four wickets including Harvik, Cheteshwar Pujara, Suryakumar Yadav, and Sarfaraz Khan.
West now relies on Atit Sheth and the rest of the lower order to get it closer to the South’s total. Atit will be accompanied by Dharmandrasinh Jadeja who certainly can bat.
- Ben Stokes undergoes knee surgery ahead of India tour
- France 2030, Salt Lake City 2034 picked as preferred winter Olympics bids by IOC
- VIDEO: Tushar Shelke wins National Archery men’s title, hopes for Olympic glory
- ISL 2023-24 Stats: Diamantakos storms into Golden Boot race, Luna tops assists’ list
- IND A vs ENG A Women, 1st T20: Kashvee, Shreyanka prove their mettle as India pips England by three runs