- July 20, 2023 23:11England takes vital lead
The World Test champion side has been put to the sword with half-centuries from Moeen Ali and Joe Root but it was the 189 from Zak Crawley that has given England an advantage with a lead of 67 runs. Ben Stokes and Harry Brook will resume the charge.
- July 20, 2023 22:15Root falls, misses century
Hazlewood castles Root as the former skipper falls for a brilliant 84 off 95 balls. The ball kept low and breached through the gap as Australia makes a vital breakthrough.
- July 20, 2023 22:11Root nears ton
The 350 comes up for England with Root approaching his century. The approach has been brilliant and the scoring rate has been admirable.
- July 20, 2023 21:56Crawley misses double century
Cameron Green breaks the stand as Crawley falls for 189. The double ton evades Crawley as the batsman drags down to walk back for a brilliant 189 off 182 balls.
- July 20, 2023 21:50Crawley, Root keep Australia at bay
The 200-run partnership is up between Crawley and Root and it has one of the best in this Ashes series. The lead will only swell as England has dominated the day with Crawley being the dominating batsman.
- July 20, 2023 21:45Crawley nears double ton
Crawley is really pumped up and the shots he has played over the long-on region have been magnificent. England takes the lead with Crawley nearing his double century.
- July 20, 2023 21:26Crawley, Root close-in deficit
The 300 is up for England and the partnership between Root and Crawley is worth 170 off 155 deliveries. Brilliant batting from the duo as England only trails by 15 runs.
- July 20, 2023 21:16Crawley drives England
Zak Crawley is dictating terms in the middle and has played some brilliant shots on both sides of the wicket. A lovely drive straight down the ground gets England closer to Australia’s total.
- July 20, 2023 21:06Zak Crawley hits 150!
Zak Crawley has put on a batting exhibition and has got to his 150. Crawley has dominated the Australian attack and is currently batting on 154 at a strike rate of 100. What a knock!
- July 20, 2023 20:53Root hits fifty, drives England
Cummins over steps and Australia almost lost the review after the skipper thought he had trapped Joe Root. England going really well at this stage with Root playing a gorgeous reserve scoop to get to his 59th Test fifty.
- July 20, 2023 20:38Root motors on, England on front foot
Most thought Root was out after the batsman was hit high on the pads and deflection to second slip gave another reflection to the crowd. The appeal was referred to the third umpire and the reviews went in favour of the batsman.
- July 20, 2023 20:12England dictates terms at Tea break
The 100-run partnership is up between Crawley and Root in just 82 balls and this has kept England ahead of Australia with Crawley being the chief operator. 178 runs in 25 overs come from this session with a run-rate of above 7 rpo.
- July 20, 2023 19:51Crawley, Root power England
Mitchell Marsh into the attack and they are not struggling to break the partnership. The 200 is up for England and both Crawley and Root have been brilliant.
- July 20, 2023 19:37Crawley hits century
Brilliant from Zak Crawley as he hits his fourth Test hundred. This has been a really impressive batting and along with Root has brought up the fifty-run partnership.
- July 20, 2023 19:27Crawley reaches milestone
Pat Cummins is back into the attack and the Australia skipper goes the short ball stuff. The field is also set accordingly but credit to Crawley who reached 2000 Test runs. Root continues to blaze away.
- July 20, 2023 19:13Root, Crawley keep Australia at bay
Joe Root and the timing of his shots are synonymous. Taking on the challenge a brilliant short-arm pull shot was the best from the former England skipper. Meanwhile, ‘Crawley is after the Aussies’ says Mark Taylor as the opener approaches his century.
- July 20, 2023 19:05Moeen Ali falls
Khawaja takes a blinder by diving to his right. A wonderful innings comes to an end but the 121-run partnership will be something that England will cherish. Joe Root takes guard after Starc bounces out the southpaw as Moeen falls for an 82-ball 54.
- July 20, 2023 19:00Cummis drops Moeen
Runs are flowing freely for England with both Crawley and Ali taking control of the game. The home side has the tempo at this moment with Cummins dropping Moeen Ali at mid-wicket.
- July 20, 2023 18:50Crawley, Ali hit half-centuries
The 100-run partnership is up between Crawley and Ali and this has been a solid one from England’s point of view. Both batsmen have scored wonderful half-centuries, especially Moeen being promoted to No.3.
- July 20, 2023 18:40Crawley hits half-century
Change of pace but Crawley welcomes Travis Head with a reverse sweep to get to his half-century and then belts the off-spinner for a maximum over the deep mid-wicket.
- July 20, 2023 18:34Crawley drives England ahead
Australia is finding a way to make a breakthrough but the back-of-length line isn’t helping as Crawley drills Green for consecutive boundaries, a drive through the off-side being the pick of his shot.
- July 20, 2023 18:25Australia aims to make inroads
Moeen Ali has exhibited his class with some sumptuous cover drives and Crawley has fought through with grit and determination. This will be a session that England will look to dominate. with both batsmen in fine touch.
- July 20, 2023 18:16Ali, Crawley resume charge for England
Right then Green resumes the post-lunch session. England will look to make the most of the partnership between Ali and Crawley. Three runs from the first over after Lunch.
- July 20, 2023 17:37Anderson cheers home crowd
James Anderson delivered from the end named after him with England’s all-time leading wicket-taker dismissing Australia captain Pat Cummins. It was a moment to cherish.
- July 20, 2023 17:34Crawley, Ali give England control
Chris Woakes took his first-five wicket haul against Australia as England started the first session on a very positive note with Crawley and Ali forging an unbeaten 52-run stand off 83 balls. Australia has a lot of bowling to do with two sessions going ahead.
- July 20, 2023 17:27Moeen Ali creates record
Moeen Ali reaches a milestone with 3000 Test runs and not to forget his 200 Test wickets. The batsman is making the most of the opportunity in his No.3 position.
- July 20, 2023 17:18Crawley survives, England motors on
Great review from Crawley and the extra bounce saved the batsman from getting LBW. The on-field decision was out but that was going down the leg side and Crawley insisted on going for the review.
- July 20, 2023 17:01Crawley, Ali motor on
The partnership between Crawley and Ali is growing steadily as Starc and Hazlewood steam in with purpose. The crowd did enjoy a Crawley boundary that beat the fielder at deep mid-wicket.
- July 20, 2023 16:50Australia aims to make further inroads
Crawley is slowly getting into the groove by picking singles and along with Moeen is driving England ahead. Australia, on the other hand, is looking to pick wickets on a batting-friendly track.
- July 20, 2023 16:40Ali, Crawley rebuild for England
Moeen Ali goes the defensive style and England will be watchful with Starc and Hazlewood looking for further inroads. The left-hander did score a boundary but it was a shot where he was lucky as the outside edge travelled fast from the slips.
- July 20, 2023 16:32Starc gives Australia an early breakthrough
Mitchell Starc gets the opening breakthrough as the pacer induces an outside edge to pack off Duckett. He had to leave the ball but a gentle push gets Carey into action. Moeen Ali takes guard.
- July 20, 2023 16:16Crawley, Duckett aim for a good start
It will be Starc who will take the new ball with Zak Crawley and Ben Duckett gearing up. The heavy roller is off the ground and we are up for England’s reply.
- July 20, 2023 16:10Woakes takes five, Australia 317
A five-wicket haul for Chris Woakes and that will be the end of Australia’s first innings. Wonderful bowling from Woakes and this will be a special one.
- July 20, 2023 14:58Stuart Broad on his career milestone
“A few hugs and handshakes from staff who’ve been in the changing room longer than me. A nice ring getting my 600th pole at the James Anderson End. A very special feeling. I went past Glenn McGrath who was my hero growing up at the Oval last summer. It’s a sign of longevity, I’m addicted to Test cricket. As a youngster, I remember getting my cap from Sir Ian Botham in Colombo, I wanted to win big series in that cap. I feel very lucky to have played in some great teams along the way.”
- July 20, 2023 14:33Stuart Broad becomes the second pacer after Anderson to 600 Test wickets
- F1 2023: Mercedes eyeing first race win of the season at Sao Paolo GP while Hamilton chases Perez
- ODI World Cup 2023 top wicket-takers after NZ vs SA: Jansen joint-first with Zampa, Afridi on 16 wickets
- Hurkacz serves 1,000th ace of year in Paris Masters win
- World Cup 2023: De Kock guided me through my innings, says Van der Dussen after massive win against New Zealand
- ISL 2023-24: Youngsters shine bright as Mohun Bagan Super Giant edges past Jamshedpur FC