Gurcharan Singh is the legendary coach behind many Indian cricketers. From Maninder Singh and Kirti Azad to Ajay Jadeja and Murali Kartik, the veteran coach has an illustrious resume. However, what gives him the most joy is to be a player again and he did just that in the run-up to the New Year at an event in Delhi.
Photographs of an 87-year-old Singh padded up and in whites, walking in to bat, sent social media on a trip down memory lane.
Singh came out to bat in a match between Delhi Veterans cricket team and Old Patelians Cricket Association, with the legendary coach representing the Patelians.
His students, Kartik, Jadeja, Sandeep Jodhi, Vivek Razdan were also in attendance as was actor Varun Badola.
The match was played to mark the inauguration of Power Play Sports Academy in Gurugram. Launched by one of Singh’s students, Sukhvinder Singh, the premises houses two cricket grounds, including one with floodlight facilities.
“Gurcharan Sir was invited to inaugurate but can you keep him away from the pitch? He insisted on batting. We were so thrilled to see him steal a single,” said Joshi.
- ICC should protect cricket: Former SL captain Arjuna Ranatunga
- French club Lyon hires FIFA World Cup winner Fabio Grosso as new coach
- Axar Patel to Naseem Shah - Full list of injured players ahead of ODI World Cup 2023
- VIDEO: Xavi Hernandez ‘saddened’ by Spain’s women’s team saga
- Jhingan, Gurpreet part of Sports Ministry’s updated Indian Football team for Asian Games