Sri Lanka off-spinner Akila Dananjaya was on Thursday handed a 12 month ban by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for illegal bowling action.
The decision was taken after an independent assessment of his action. The 25-year-old was assessed after the legality of his bowling action came under question during the first Test against New Zealand in Galle from August 14th to 18th.
He subsequently underwent the independent assessment in Chennai on August 29, which revealed that he employed an illegal bowling action.
Dananjaya was originally suspended from bowling in December 2018.
Following remedial work on his bowling action, he was reassessed and permitted to resume bowling in February 2019.
“As the latest report constitutes the player’s second report within a two-year period, the first of which led to a suspension, he is automatically suspended from bowling in international cricket for a period of 12 months,” the ICC said in a statement.
Dananjaya will be entitled to approach the ICC for a re-assessment of his bowling action after the expiry of this one-year ban period.
- Asian Games 2023, September 27 Live Updates: Esha bags silver in 25m pistol, Samra wins 50m rifle 3p gold, Anant wins silver in men’s skeet; India 5th with 22 medals
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Marsh, Warner attack in PowerPlay after Australia opts to bat vs India
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 27 - LIVE - Sift Kaur wins gold with WR in shooting; India wins gold, silver in shooting team event; Moves on 5th with 5 gold, 22 medals in total
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: India Men’s Doubles R-64, Manav Thakkar and Manush Shah into deciding game
- Shooting LIVE Score Asian Games 2023: Anant wins silver in men’s skeet final; Sift wins gold with WR, India wins 25m women’s pistol team gold