Sundaram Ravi will be the lone Indian umpire in the World Cup, which begins in England from May 30. The International Cricket Council has released it's list of umpires and match referees who would officiate during the month-and-a-half long tournament.
Last month, Ravi -- the only Indian in the ICC's Elite Panel -- found himself in the middle of a controversy as he failed to spot a front foot no ball in the final delivery of Royal Challengers Bangalore's six-run loss to Mumbai Indians in an Indian Premier League fixture.
A livid RCB captain Virat Kohli had said that "umpires should have kept their eyes open". Ravi, however, did not face any sanctions.
Sri Lankan Ranjan Madugalle, the most experienced match referee, will be officiating in his sixth World Cup, while it will be the fourth World Cup for Chris Broad and Jeff Crowe. Umpire Aleem Dar will be officiating in his fifth World Cup and it will be the fourth and last for Ian Gould, who has announced his retirement at the end of the tournament. Gould, 61, England’s wicketkeeper in the 1983 World Cup, has officiated in 74 Tests, 135 ODIs and 37 T20Is so far.
The opening fixture between England and South Africa will see three World Cup winners officiating. David Boon -- a member of Australia's World Cup-winning team of 1987 -- will be the match referee while Sri Lankan Kumar Dharmasena will be one of the two on-field umpires. Bruce Oxenford will be the other on-field umpire, and Paul Reiffel will be the third umpire.
Match Officials at the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019:
Match Referees: Chris Broad, David Boon, Andy Pycroft, Jeff Crowe, Ranjan Madugalle, Richie Richardson
Umpires: Aleem Dar, Kumar Dharmasena, Marais Erasmus, Chris Gaffaney, Ian Gould, Richard Illingworth, Richard Kettleborough, Nigel Llong, Bruce Oxenford, Sundaram Ravi, Paul Reiffel, Rod Tucker, Joel Wilson, Michael Gough, Ruchira Palliyaguruge, Paul Wilson
- Al Nassr vs Persepolis LIVE Score, NAS 0-0 PER, AFC Champions League 2023-24: Cristiano Ronaldo’s team down to 10 men
- ISL 2023-24: Super sub Victor Rodriguez brings three points home for FC Goa against Jamshedpur FC as it goes on top of the table
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC Highlights, AFC Cup: MBSG 2-5 OFC, Juggernauts beat Mariners to stay second
- Prannoy, Lakshya withdraw from Syed Modi International 2023
- Hockey Nationals 2023: Defending champions Haryana to face Punjab in the final