Here is India's 15-member World Cup squad.
Dinesh Karthik and Vijay Shankar found a berth as the five-member selection committee announced India's 15-member squad for the World Cup, starting in England and Wales from May 30.
The selectors made it clear that young wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant was unlucky to miss out as his name was considered.
At the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) headquarters in Mumbai on Monday, the selectors — who were joined by captain Virat Kohli -- opted for the ‘tried and tested’ combination, picking the experienced Karthik over Pant as the second wicketkeeper.
Middle order batsman Ambati Rayudu — who has been out of form lately — was ignored. Instead, the selectors placed their faith on Tamil Nadu all-rounder Vijay Shankar, who was rewarded with a berth.
The selectors also named Ravindra Jadeja as the third spinner, the others being Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav. The team will also go with a three-pronged pace attack of Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami and Bhuvneshwar Kumar.
After the home series against Australia last month, Kohli had made it clear that the core of the World Cup team had been identified, but had hinted that only ‘one slot’ was left to be filled.
Karthik , who was left out of the squad for the ODI series against Australia last month, has so far scored 111 runs for Kolkata Knight Riders in the ongoing IPL (after match against CSK on Sunday). Pant, on the other hand, has got 245 runs in this edition of the tournament.
According to the tournament’s guidelines, each team has to announce its final squad at least a month prior to the World Cup, starting on May 30. The teams, however, can make changes to the final squad of 15 at least seven days prior to the tournament, which needs to be cleared by the International Cricket Council's Event Technical Committee.
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 30- India wins gold in squash men’s team, tennis mixed doubles; IND 4th with 10 gold, 38 medals
- Sutirtha and Ayhika, the Mukherjees from Naihati, who tamed the Chinese in their game at their den
- Asian Games 2023, September 30, HIGHLIGHTS: Indian men’s squash team wins gold; Rohan-Rutuja duo wins tennis mixed doubles gold; finishes 4th with 10 gold medals
- Kartik, Gulveer reap rewards of high-intensity training with silver and bronze at Asian Games 2023
- PCB wants ICC to expedite visa process for media and fans for World Cup 2023 travel