India captain Rohit Sharma and Shubman Gill became the fastest Indian pair to complete 1000 One-Day International partnership runs during their Asia Cup 2023 match against Sri Lanka in Colombo on Tuesday.
Rohit and Gill crossed the milestone mark with India reaching 36 for no loss after opting to bat first. The right-handed pair crossed the mark in just their 13th outing together in the format. Rohit had previously held the record with KL Rahul among Indians, completing 1000 runs in 14 innings.
Rohit and Gill first paired up at the top for India against Sri Lanka on January 10, 2023, in Guwahati, notching up 143 runs for the first wicket. The pair has since added three more 100-plus partnerships, including two in succession this Asia Cup - 147 v Nepal and 121 against Pakistan.
The duo also holds the record for the highest average opening partnership for a pair, minimum 1000 runs in the format, scoring 91.3* runs per dismissal.
Fastest to 1000 Partnership runs for India in ODI (Innings Wise)
- 13 - Rohit/Gill
- 14 - Rohit/Rahul
- 14 - MS Dhoni/Gautam Gambhir
- 16 - Rohit/Virat Kohli
- 16 - Dhoni/Suresh Raina
- 16 - Shikhar Dhawan/Ajinkya Rahane
- 16 - Sachin Tendulkar/Ajay Jadeja
- 16 - Mohammed Azharuddin/Sunil Gavaskar
- Pakistan vs Bangladesh Live Score, World Cup 2023: BAN 158/6 (36); Shakib, Mehidy Hasan rebuild innings vs PAK
- With 300 international caps, Vandana Katariya enters an exclusive club of one
- ODI World Cup 2023 top wicket-takers after PAK vs BAN: Zampa leads, Shaheen goes second with 4 wickets against Bangladesh
- World Cup 2023: Fitness concerns on Latham’s mind as New Zealand targets South Africa’s red-hot batters
- PAK vs BAN: Shaheen Afridi becomes fastest Pakistan bowler to 100 ODI wickets