Ravi Shastri has backed captain Virat Kohli on his decision to return home for the birth of his first child.
“It is a once-in-a-lifetime moment and I am with him,” he told Sportstar in an interaction.
“He is not the one to miss a game if there was not a compelling reason. But for this bloody quarantine he would have returned for the last Test,” he said.
Shastri pointed out Kohli was the only Indian captain to have overseen wins at home and away from home.
“But it’s not easy because the quarantine process in Australia is active and very hard. To go through another 14-day period of isolation would be tough for anyone. I must tell our fans and critics that Virat is the only Asian captain, dead or alive, to have won a series against Australia at home and away from home. That is the trigger for the team to remember and shine.”
The Test series begins on December 17, and the fourth Test will start on January 15, 2021.
- Gujarat Giants’ priority was buying players who would fit the setup: Mithali Raj
- PKL LIVE Score, Bengal Warriors vs Tamil Thalaivas: Mahinde’s Warriors faces Sagar’s Thalaivas, Dabang Delhi KC vs Haryana Steelers at 9; When, where to watch Pro Kabaddi League 2023?
- India vs South Africa Live Score, 1st T20I: IND v SA updates; Toss at 7 pm IST; preview; live streaming info, predicted XI
- Indian sports news wrap, December 10
- IND-W vs ENG -W Live Score, 3rd Women’s T20: England wins toss, elects to bat first vs India