After facing a 203 runs defeat at the hands of India, South African skipper Faf du Plessis on Sunday praised the Indian batsman Rohit Sharma, saying his innings made things tough for the Proteas.
Rohit smashed two centuries in the first Test against South Africa.
“We got 400 in the first innings and we thought we were in the game, but the way Rohit played, especially in the second innings, it made things tough for us,” du Plessis told reporters in the post-match press conference.
South Africa scored 431 in the first innings in response to India’s 502 runs. Dean Elgar and Quinton de Kock both smashed a century.
“Quinton and Dean got a fantastic hundred and to get 400 in the subcontinent is never easy and the way we responded was brilliant,” said du Plessis.
“I am proud of the first innings and the way we batted. There was an opportunity to go the other way but we didn’t,” he added.
“Moving into the next test match we will get our best opportunity to take 20 wickets because that is what required to win a game,” du Plessis told reporters.
South Africa will now face India in the second Test of the series in Pune from October 10.
- Mitrovic’s late brace helps seal a huge win for Al Hilal against Ronald’s Al Nassr in Saudi Pro League
- Al Hilal vs Al Nassr Highlights, HIL 3-0 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Savic, Mitrovic scores, Ronaldo’s goal ruled off side
- Aston Villa makes official complaint to UEFA after Legia Warsaw violence
- India Women’s squads for Tests, England T20Is announced: Saika Ishaque, Shubha Satheesh get maiden call-ups
- SA vs IND: Sai Sudharsan ‘lost for words’ after maiden India call-up for South Africa ODIs