Pakistan’s cricket community today backed Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) decision to appoint wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed as the captain of the national T20 team.
Former captain, Rashid Latif said he would like the board to also appoint Sarfraz as captain of the one-day squad.
“Pakistan has faced problems in the limited over formats and there is a need to have a fresh captain and mindset in both formats. I would have preferred to see Sarfraz named captain for ODIs and T20,” he said.
Latif pointed out that Pakistan was due to play only one or two T20 internationals in 2016.
“It looks more like a damage control decision following the team’s disastrous showing in T20 matches in recent months,” he said.
Former captain Salim Malik said Sarfraz was a good choice. “Much will depend on how much respect he can command from the other players. What will help him is that he is a performer and fighter,” Malik told PTI.
He also felt that Sarfraz should be groomed to also take over the captaincy in the other two formats in the future. Sarfraz replaced flamboyant all-rounder Shahid Afridi, who tweeted a congratulatory message to the keeper and described him as a 'fighter’.
Former Test opener, Mohsin Khan said that Sarfraz was a good choice for the captaincy.
“He is young, brave and a professional. But the board will have to give him lot of support and authority to move things forward. No captain can be successful without the backing of the board,” Khan said.
- India vs England Live Score, 4th Test Day 1: Toss coming up next, playing XI updates; Akash Deep to make debut
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, 2023-24 Quarterfinal: TN vs SAU, VID vs KAR, MP vs AND, MUM vs BAR; Toss updates, live streaming
- Ranji Trophy Highlights, Round 7 Day 4 updates: Karnataka settles for draw with Chandigarh; Kerala draws with Andhra
- Kroos says he’s not Germany’s ‘saviour’ ahead of Euro 2024 return
- AC Milan, Roma, Marseille, Benfica advance to Europa League round of 16