Varun Chakravarthy is a long-term investment for Kings XI Punjab, co-owner Preity Zinta has said.
The mystery spinner, bought by the franchise for ₹8.40 crore, will be a back-up for captain R. Ashwin, according to Zinta. “Varun is an underexposed mystery bowler along with being a back-up spinner who will add value to the team. Kings XI Punjab has always wanted to give chance to untested talent and Varun is a long-term investment for us,” Zinta told PTI via email.
“I feel that with guidance from coach Mike Hesson, he (Varun) will be able to hone his capabilities and contribute to team’s success,” the Bollywood actor said.
A ‘thought-through’ strategy
Zinta was pleased to have picked players the management thought could be the missing link from the last edition. “We opted a thought-through strategy for the auctions. We wanted to pick up players that could fill in the missing gaps and create a remarkable team line-up. I believe that we have a balanced side now with a lot of good options in our kitty in case of requirements during the season,” she said.
Zinta called Prabhsimran Singh, who pocked a ₹1.5 crore contract without having played a single Ranji Trophy match, a new star in the horizon. “At the Kings XI Punjab, we have always believed in providing opportunity to domestic talent and Prabh Simran is the new star on the horizon. The management team at KXIP does a background research before bidding for any player,” she reasoned.
Zinta also mentioned Prabhsimran’s local connect. “I personally feel that he is a local boy from Punjab and a talent to watch out for in future,” she added.
Zinta said Kings XI Punjab is prepared to do well in the IPL even if it is held away from India in 2019. “We have faced such scenario in the past and are adequately prepared for the upcoming season. The balance and constitution of the team is such that they can play in India or any other country with the same zeal and deliver outstanding results,” she said.
- Bahrain Grand Prix: F1 champion Verstappen of Red Bull on pole for season-opener
- Ranji Trophy semifinal: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off
- German Open 2024: Jolly-Gayatri bow out of quarterfinals, lose to Chinese pair of Jing-Min
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, MBSG 3-0 JFC, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku, Cummings, Petratos goals guide Mariners to comfortable win
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant cruises to win against Jamshedpur FC