Former England skipper Joe Root has opted out of IPL (Indian Premier League) 2024, Rajasthan Royals announced on Saturday.
Root was picked for his base price of Rs. 1 crore at the 2023 IPL auction and played three matches for Rajasthan Royals, scoring 10 runs and bowling two overs without picking a wicket.
“During our retention conversations, Joe informed us of his decision to not take part in IPL 2024. Even in a short span of time, Joe was able to create such a positive impact on the franchise and the players around him. His energy around the group and the experience he brought to the Royals will be missed. We respect his decision totally and wish him success in everything he does,” Kumar Sangakkara, Royals’ Director of Cricket, said.
Root’s decision to not take part in the upcoming IPL season comes a day before the retention deadline, which ends on Sunday.
- Ranji Trophy LIVE score, Day 5 Quarterfinal updates: Vidarbha beats Karnataka to qualify for semifinal; Baroda crosses 100 vs Mumbai
- South Korea picks Hwang Sun-hong as interim coach to replace Klinsmann
- Elena Norman quits as Hockey India CEO after 13 years
- Biennial FIFA series of friendly games to launch in March
- Indian pro boxer Neeraj Goyat to take on Jake Paul