Suryakumar Yadav smashed his maiden IPL hundred against Gujarat Titans at the Wankhede Stadium on Friday. His 49-ball 103 guided MI to a staggering total of 218 for five in 20 overs after being forced to bat first.
The 32-year-old went past his previous best of 83, which came against Royal Challengers Bangalore in Mumbai’s last game this season.
Skipper Rohit Sharma and Ishan Kishan put on a 50-run partnership and provided a blistering start for the five-time champion before Rashid Khan struck twice in an over to dismiss both the openers.
Following the setback, Suryakumar and Vishnu Vinod carried the momentum by adding 65 runs off 42 deliveries for the fourth wicket.
After Vinod fell for a well-made 20-ball 30, Suryakumar continued his onslaught and helped Mumbai add 52 runs off the final three overs to propel his side to a formidable total.
With his pyrotechnics, Suryakumar has jumped to the third position in the Orange cap race and now has 479 runs in 12 innings at an average of 43.55. Royal Challengers Bangalore skipper Faf du Plessis leads the charts with 576 runs in 11 matches.
Suryakumar also became the first Mumbai Indians batter to score a hundred at the Wankhede Stadium in the IPL since Sachin Tendulkar’s 66-ball unbeaten 100 against Kochi Tuskers Kerala in 2011.
MUMBAI INDIANS BATTERS TO SCORE AN IPL CENTURY AT WANKHEDE STADIUM
|Sanath Jayasuriya||114*||48||237.50||Chennai Super Kings||2008|
|Suryakumar Yadav||103*||49||210.20||Gujarat Titans||2023|
|Sachin Tendulkar||100*||66||151.51||Kochi Tuskers Kerala||2011|
- Heath Streak, former Zimbabwe captain passes away at 49
- BWF Badminton World Championships 2023, Day three: Indians in action, IST Timings, streaming info
- Indians at World Athletics Championships 2023: Start times and event list on Day Five
- World Athletics Championships 2023: Soufiane El Bakkali retains 3,000m steeplechase title in Budapest
- World Athletics Championships 2023: Tausaga wins women’s discus throw gold with massive personal best, Allman takes silver