Ishant Sharma looks doubtful for India’s Test series against New Zealand - which begins next month - after the pace ace sustained an ankle tear during Delhi’s Ranji Trophy fixture against Vidarbha.
While there are speculations that it could be Grade 3 tear, officials in the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) told Sportstar that it will only be clear once the Board conducts the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP).
“As of now, what we have been informed by the Delhi cricket association (DDCA) that there is an ankle tear. We will have to assess the situation further and then take a call,” one of the Board officials said.
While there is still three weeks left for the team’s first practice match - which begins from February 14 - the Board officials are hopeful that he will recover in time. India begins its Test campaign from February 21.
“There is still some time left for the tour. We will look into all the aspects and then decide on the future course of action,” the Board official said.
Ishant, who has played 96 Tests for India, has enjoyed success over the last three years and has been one of the consistent performers, along with Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Shami.
The national selectors are likely to name the ODI and Test squads for the New Zealand tour in the next couple of days.
In Delhi, DDCA's Vinod Tihara confirmed that Ishant has a Grade III tear and has been ruled out for six weeks, which essentially rules him out of the New Zealand series.
Latest on Sportstar
- WTC Final 2023: I think India can win in any condition, says Hussain
- PKL 10: Gujarat Giants hopes to scout best young players, says coach Ram Mehar Singh
- PGA Tour players call for Jay Monahan’s resignation after merger
- IND vs AUS WTC Final, London weather update LIVE: Will it rain today at the Oval during Day 1 of India vs Australia match?
- Fiorentina vs West Ham, LIVE streaming info: Predicted 11, form, when and where to watch UEFA Conference League final