Suryakumar Yadav will lead Mumbai in the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 tournament, which begins here from Friday.
The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) on Monday, named the 15 member squad for the tournament, which saw pacer Tushar Deshpande missing out.
Deshpande has been a consistent performer for Mumbai in the past, and his omission does come as a surprise. Shardul Thakur, Shreyas Iyer and Shivam Dube are busy with national team commitments, prompting the selectors to go for the tried and tested players.
The batting department has regulars Jay Bista, Aditya Tare, Siddhesh Lad. Youngster, Sarfaraz Khan, who is recovering from an injury, too has been drafted into the side. Youngster Yashasvi Jaiswal was not named in the squad as he has to feature in the age-group tournament.
But the fact that captain Yadav has had a good outing at the Deodhar Trophy will be a big boost for the Mumbai side.
The bowling department will be spearheaded by Dhawal Kulkarni. Mumbai will be playing its games at home and the side is hopeful of success.
Mumbai plays Mizoram in the opening fixture on November 8, followed by the game against Haryana the next day. It will lock horns with Madhya Pradesh, Bengal, Meghalaya and Assam on November 14,15, 17 respectively.
Latest on Sportstar
- Mourinho after Europa League loss: Too tired to fight every time
- Women’s Champions League final shows growth of the sport - NWSL commissioner
- Serie A: Juventus bids to end the season on a high note against Udinese
- IBA acknowledges Swiss resignation to join rogue body
- Delhi Capitals out of IPL 2023; Punjab Kings do not inspire playoff confidence- Highlights, analysis