Sri Lanka spin wizard Muttiah Muralitharan feels that tactical acumen of coach Anil Kumble combined with skipper Virat Kohli leadership skills will take India to greater heights.
Murali said that India has a great chance of defeating the three heavyweights — New Zealand, England and Australia — in the 13 Tests to be played at home in the upcoming season.
“Kumble is clever and knows the conditions inside out. He knows exactly what to do. I think Indian team will do well in Kumble’s guidance and definitely have a very good chance of winning the series not only against New Zealand, but also against England and Australia,” Muralitharan told media during his stint with Cricket Association of Bengal’s Vision 2020 programme to groom youngsters.
"Kohli has been doing well and India are winning matches abroad. That’s what you want. I think India have a big advantage. Their spinners are better while the batters know the conditions well,” he added.
Murali, the Bengal spin consultant for one-and-half years, also spoke about the upcoming domestic season and said Ranji matches at neutral venues was a welcome change.
“It gives you a chance to learn more about different venues, wickets so that they can apply themselves in a better way.”
On Bengal’s prospects, he said: “Pragyan Ojha is heading the spin attack and there are many good pacers, so they have a good chance.”
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, 2023-24 Quarterfinal updates: Bhargav Bhatt picks 3 vs Mumbai ; Ajith Ram removes Pujara for 2
- India vs England Live Score, 4th Test Day 1: ENG 112/5 at Lunch; Akash Deep put India in control
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Ashwin becomes first Indian bowler to pick 100 wickets against England
- WPL 2024: Spin twins Sophie Ecclestone, Deepti Sharma raring to go in UP Warriorz’ title bid
- Mumbai Indians WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures