India’s ace off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin completed 700 wickets in international cricket on Wednesday during day one of the first Test match against West Indies at Windsor Park in Roseau, Dominica.
Ashwin reached the feat with the wicket of Alzarri Joseph in the 53rd over, and followed it up with the scalp of debutant Alick Athanaze in the 55th over, who scored a well-fought 47 before Shardul Thakur completed an easy catch at mid-on.
He became the third Indian after Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh, and 17th overall to get to the milestone.
The 36-year-old has 477 Test scalps to his name in addition to 151 ODI wickets and 72 T20I wickets.
Ashwin, who made a comeback into the team after being dropped for the World Test Championship (WTC) final against Australia, took his first wicket of the day by dismissing opener Tagenarine Chanderpaul for 12.
West Indies captain Kraigg Brathwaite tried to take the game to Ashwin, hitting sweeps and lofted shots down the ground and over cow corner. But the master spinner outsmarted the opener, keeping the ball outside off and forcing the batter to edge one straight up and into captain Rohit Sharma’s hands at cover.
He finished the innings with figures of 24.3-6-60-5, recording his 33rd five-wicket-haul in Test matches.
Most wickets for India in international cricket
Table updated after first innings of India vs West Indies 1st Test on July 12.
- Uruguay vs Brazil, World Cup Qualifier: Live Streaming Info, When and where to watch URU vs BRA WC Qualifying match
- South Africa vs Netherlands Live Score, World Cup 2023: Vikramjit, O’Dowd fall early for NED vs SA
- Michelle Yeoh among eight members to join IOC
- ICC World Cup 2023: Rahmanullah Gurbaz reprimanded for breaching code of conduct
- SMAT 2023: Ashutosh Sharma hits fastest T20 fifty by an Indian