The Asia Cup 2022 got off to a rocky start after Sri Lanka batter Pathum Nissanka’s dismissal by the third-umpire against Afghanistan courted controversy in Dubai on Saturday.
FOLLOW THE LIVE SCORE OF SL VS AFG ASIA CUP 2022 HERE
After losing two wickets in the first over, Sri Lanka landed a surprise jolt in the second when Nissanka (3) was adjudged caught behind by the wicketkeeper Rahmanullah Gurbaz off Naveen-ul-Haq’s bowling. The ball seemed to shape away from the batter before an appeal from Afghanistan was agreed upon by the on-field umpire, Anil Chaudhary.
Sri Lanka went up for a referral and in a surprise decision, the TV umpire Jayaraman Madanagopal declared Nissanka out despite no visible spike on the UltraEdge meter.
Sri Lanka was effectively reduced to five for three in two overs while several players were left stunned in its dugout after the decision.
Latest on Sportstar
- Nuggets coach says ‘We haven’t done a damn thing’ in NBA Finals
- Haddad Maia becomes first Brazilian woman to reach French Open last 16 in 44 years
- Fan arrested for ‘97’ slogan on shirt
- Ten Hag’s United “broken” after FA Cup final loss to Manchester City
- Now let’s make it a treble, Guardiola urges Manchester City players