Nitin Menon is the lone Indian in ICC’s list of umpires for the upcoming Women’s T20 World Cup in Australia, where an unprecedented six women will contribute as match officials.
As announced earlier, India’s GS Lakshmi will become the first woman match referee at a global ICC event. Lauren Agenbag, Kim Cotton, Claire Polosak, Sue Redfern and Jacqueline Williams are the women umpires named for the eight-team competition.
Williams will stand along with Shaun George in the high-profile tournament opener between Australia and India on February 21, soon after becoming the first woman to officiate as the third umpire in a men’s international cricket match, the ICC said in a release on Wednesday.
Polosak, who became the first female umpire to officiate in a men’s ODI last year, will pair with Menon in the game between former champion West Indies and first-timer Thailand on February 22. The fixture will also have Lakshmi as match referee, two months after becoming the first female match referee in a men’s ODI.
“This is the largest compliment of women match officials at a single event, and the progress we have made is heartening...it is because of their skillset and hard work that they have graduated to the top level,” said Adrian Griffith, ICC Senior Manager, Umpires and Referees.
Emirates ICC Elite Panel Match Referee Chris Broad will be the senior-most match official at the event with Steve Bernard also a match referee. The other umpires at the tournament will be Gregory Brathwaite, Chris Brown, Ahsan Raza, Langton Rusere and Alex Wharf.
The appointments for the semifinals will be announced at the end of the league stage and those for the final will be confirmed after the semifinals.
- Delhi Open Challenger: Local wildcard Karan Singh could shine, Benjamin Bonzi given the top seed
- Kerala Blasters vs FC Goa LIVE score, KBFC 0-1 FCG, ISL 10: Borges scores for early Gaurs lead
- GG vs MI Live Score, WPL 2024: Ismail removes Veda for a duck
- Serie A 2023-24: Late Rugani goal gives Juventus 3-2 win over Frosinone
- Chelsea vs Liverpool Carabao Cup 2023-24 final LIVE Updates: Lineups out, CHE v LIV, h2h record, team news and injury update