Rishabh Pant is facing the music after a string of poor performances recently. The left-hander found support in former Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh.
“I really don't know what is happening with him (Rishabh). Why so much unnecessary criticism? Somebody needs to get the best out of him,” said the southpaw.
Yuvraj's comments come after the youngster drew flak for throwing away his wicket multiple times, despite numerous opportunities to try and reinvent his approach.
“How one manages that also depends on his (Pant's) character. You need to understand his character, psychology and work like that and if you are going to suppress that then you can't get the best out of him,” he added.
Pitching for Pant, Yuvraj, who announced his retirement from international cricket recently, added, “Somebody needs to understand him and encourage him. The problem in our country is the moment a guy is not doing well everybody starts criticising him. I would rather talk to him and understand what's happening than attack him." He called on Indian skipper, Virat Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri to be patient with Pant and guide him through the slump.
Yuvraj's comments come from experience. Citing his own example, he said, "Unfortunately there was no one to tell me. Today young guys are getting a lot of money and somebody needs to tell them how to go about their lives. The guy (Pant) has a lot of potential.”
- IPL 2024 retentions: How much money does Indian Premier League teams have in their purse now?
- ISL 2023-24: FC Goa aims to go top of the table with home clash against Jamshedpur FC
- ISL 2023-24 Highlights, CFC vs EBFC: Chennayin FC held to a 1-1 draw against East Bengal
- India vs Australia Live Score Updates 2nd T20: Bishnoi strikes twice, Prasidh gets Smith to put India on top
- Indian sports news wrap, November 26