Saudi Arabian billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal will award a one million riyals ($266,500) bonus to each player from Al Hilal for the 3-2 win over South American champion Flamengo on Tuesday that sent them to the Club World Cup final.
Prince Alwaleed, chairman of the Kingdom Holding Co , is a big supporter of the Saudi club and announced on social media that he will gift the players a similar amount if they also manage to win the final on Saturday.
In addition, Saudi sports channel SSC reported that each player will get 500,000 riyals from the country’s minister of sports for the Flamengo victory.
The final will be played against the winner of the other semifinal between Spain’s Real Madrid and Egypt’s Al Ahly on Wednesday.
It’s the first time a Saudi team has reached the Club World Cup final and has been celebrated by the country’s government as another competitive achievement following its national team’s World Cup win against Argentina in November.
“The win is a tangible confirmation of the great distinction that Saudi sports has experienced recently,” Sports Minister Prince Abdulaziz al-Faisal said in a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA).
Al Hilal won thanks to two penalties from Salem Al Dawsari and a close-range strike from Luciano Vietto in a second half in which Flamengo was playing with 10 men after midfielder Gerson was sent off in first-half stoppage time.
Flamengo manager Vitor Pereira blamed the loss on the officiating.
“We were ready to play Al Hilal but were not ready for a refereeing that was not up to the standards of the competition,” Pereira told a news conference in Tangier on Tuesday.
- Italy beats Australia, reclaims Davis Cup title after 47 years
- IPL 2024: Hardik Pandya’s likely transfer to Mumbai Indians continues to be talking point hours after retention deadline
- Ducati’s Bagnaia wins Valencia GP to defend MotoGP title, Jorge Martin crashes
- Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: Hamilton concerned by Red Bull’s enduring advantage
- Women’s Super League: Lauren James steers Chelsea to win over Leicester, Arsenal beats West Ham