Argentina toppled defending champion Brazil to enter the semifinal of the ongoing FIFA Under-17 World Cup in Jakarta on Friday.
Argentina’s win over its bitter rival was built around a sparkling hat-trick from captain Claudio Echeverri.
The River Plate star put on an eye-catching performance scoring goals in the 28th, 59th and 73rd minute to seal a 3-0 win for his side.
With his exploit against Brazil, Echeverri became the joint-highest scorer of the tournament with teammate Augustin Roberto with five goals.
Who will Argentina face in the semifinal?
Argentina, which has never won the competition, will now square up against Germany, which beat Spain 1-0, in the semifinal.
This is Argentina’s sixth last-four entry, with the South American failing to win in all five of its previous attempts.
Germany too is yet to taste success in the Under-17 World Cup, with the European side’s best performance being a runner-up finish in 1985. This is the fifth semifinal entry for it.
Germany found its winner against Spain in the quarterfinal through a Paris Brummer penalty in the first half.
- Sweden midfielder Olsson in hospital with brain condition, his Danish club says
- PKL 10 Semifinal 1, Puneri Paltan vs Patna Pirates: Road to semifinal, head-to-head, all you need to know
- Namibia’s Loftie-Eaton scores fastest-ever Men’s T20I century
- Ranji Trophy HIGHLIGHTS, Quarterfinal Day 5: Vidarbha, Mumbai qualify for semifinal; to face Madhya Pradesh, Tamil nadu
- Murthal Magnets lift the Inaugural JSG Women’s Yuva Kabaddi Series 2024 trophy