Arsenal has signed Spain’s World Cup-winning defender Laia Codina from Barcelona, the Women’s Super League (WSL) club said on Tuesday.
Codina, 23, started all four of Spain’s knockout games at the World Cup which ended in a 1-0 win over England in the final earlier this month.
The centre-back has seven caps for Spain and made 32 appearances for Barcelona, winning two Champions League trophies and three La Liga titles since joining in 2019. She also spent the 2021-22 season on loan at AC Milan and played 14 times.
“Laia is a world-class defender and I’m delighted to be working with her here at Arsenal,” coach Jonas Eidevall said.
“She has a great mix of technical ability and physical presence and we believe this will allow her to adapt to our style here quickly.
“She has considerable experience of playing at the highest level and winning trophies, so I’m confident that she will be an excellent addition to our squad moving forward.”
Arsenal, which finished third in the league last year, begins its new campaign at home to Liverpool on Oct. 1.
- US star Rapinoe departs football with injury and defeat in NWSL final
- New Zealand test star Henry Nicholls cleared of ball tampering
- Man United manager Ten Hag remains defiant after suspension
- Ghana striker Raphael Dwamena dies at 28 after suffering a cardiac arrest mid-game
- Premier League: Solanke brace lifts Bournemouth out of relegation zone with win over Newcastle