Luis Suarez will miss Uruguay's upcoming friendlies against Peru, instead staying in Barcelona to undergo medical treatment. The 32-year-old was named in the preliminary squad but will miss the two matches later this month.
Suarez has scored five goals in seven games to begin the season for Barcelona, including netting a brace in Wednesday's 2-1 Champions League victory over Inter .
Barcelona and Uruguay announced on Thursday that the forward would remain in Spain instead of travelling for the friendlies in Montevideo and Lima.
"The first-team player Luis Suarez will stay in Barcelona during the selection stop, making medical treatment by mutual agreement between the medical services of the club and those of the Uruguay team as part of his personalised work plan," a Barcelona statement read.
Despite criticism, Suarez has made a fine start to the season with the Spanish giant, which is fourth in the La Liga table and hosts Sevilla on Sunday.
Uruguay also ruled out Giorgian De Arrascaeta after the midfielder suffered a knee injury in Flamengo's Copa Libertadores draw with Gremio.
After Uruguay hosts Peru on October 11, the teams meet again three days later.
- East Bengal vs Jamshedpur FC LIVE score, ISL 2023-24: Lineups out; EB v JFC updates; Kick-off at 8 PM IST
- Asian Games 2023, September 25 LIVE updates: India wins maiden cricket gold; Indian shooting team clinches gold with World Record score in 10m air rifle; Pranati through to vault, all-around final
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 25 LIVE - India 5th after women’s cricket team secures 2nd gold medal
- Asian Games 2023: India women’s cricket team wins maiden gold, beats Sri Lanka by 19 runs
- East Bengal vs Jamshedpur FC LIVE streaming info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch; Preview