Barcelona will play a friendly against Andres Iniesta’s Japanese team Vissel Kobe in Tokyo after the La Liga season finishes, the runaway Spanish league leaders said Tuesday.
The game will take place at Tokyo’s National Stadium on June 6, two days after the final day of the La Liga season.
The announcement comes amid Japanese media reports that the 38-year-old former Spain and Barca midfielder Iniesta will leave Kobe this summer.
Iniesta is contracted to Vissel until the end of the year but reports say he will be released early so that he can find another club in the United States or Middle East.
Iniesta joined Vissel in July 2018 after making almost 600 appearances for Barcelona.
He signed a two-year contract extension with the Japanese club in May 2021.
He has played a total of 38 minutes in three league appearances for Kobe in 12 games so far this season.
Vissel are currently top of the J-League table.
- Rubiales’ apology over unsolicited kiss not enough - Spain PM Sanchez
- FIFA women’s rankings: Sweden on top, world champion Spain second
- Spanish football president faces general assembly amid reports he will resign for kissing player
- Nike to sell women’s goalkeeper kits after England’s Earps supports campaign
- Who is Luis Rubiales, Spain’s ‘under-fire’ FA president for inappropriate behaviour during FIFA Women’s World Cup final