Former Barcelona and Brazil defender Dani Alves will face trial in Spain on charges of sexual assault of a woman in a Barcelona nightclub last December, a Spanish court said on Tuesday.
Alves was arrested on January 20 and has been held in a prison outside Barcelona. If found guilty he could face a jail sentence of four to 15 years. He has maintained that he had consensual sex with his accuser.
In a document signed by three judges the investigation court No. 15 in Barcelona, which is yet to set a date for the proceedings to begin, said there were sufficient grounds for Alves to stand trial, following requests by the public prosecutor and the woman’s lawyer.
In August, judges formally indicted Alves after finding evidence of wrongdoing by the 40-year-old player.
“The statements of the alleged victim and the witnesses statements and experts’ reports that appear in the case must be considered as sufficient for this purpose, without prejudice to the final outcome following the plenary phase,” the court said.
- To Sir, with love: Madhya Pradesh repays Chandrakant Pandit’s words of wisdom with exhilarating win against Andhra
- East Bengal vs Chennaiyin FC LIVE score, EBFC v CFC, ISL 2023-24: Match updates, preview and more
- IND vs ENG: Rohit Sharma credits young stars after India pockets series win in Ranchi
- Chelsea looks to respond to Neville’s ‘‘bottle jobs’‘ taunt by staying on course in FA Cup
- Indian sports wrap, February 26