Champion Bayern Munich suffered a 3-1 loss at Mainz 05 on Saturday following a toothless appearance, only a week after the high of clinching its 10th straight Bundesliga crown.
Mainz outclassed the visitors throughout the game and could have scored several more goals, with Bayern in no mood to put up a real fight after winning its only silverware of the season last week.
Mainz took the lead with Jonathan Burkardt's missile from 14 metres in the 18th minute.
The host, which had 24 efforts towards goal compared to Bayern's four, scored again when scored Moussa Niakhate stabbed in at the far post from a corner.
READ: Premier League title race: Liverpool on top, two-point lead over Man City
Bayern had to wait for a half-hour for its first good chance and Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting hitting the woodwork.
It did pull a goal back with Bundesliga top striker Robert Lewandowski bagging his 18th away goal of the season for a new league record and his 34th league goal.
But just as Bayern piled on the pressure after the break Mainz struck again thanks to a textbook break and a deflection of Leandro Barreiro's shot in the 57th to restore their two-goal cushion.
Latest on Sportstar
- Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao; La Liga LIVE: When and where to watch Benzema’s last game; Streaming Info; Predicted XI
- Norway Chess: Gukesh holds Carlsen, moves to career-high live rating
- Indian sports news wrap, June 4
- Formula 1: Verstappen wins Spanish GP to continue Red Bull sweep
- WTC Final 2023: Cameron Green hopes to bring in Rohit Sharma’s calmness in title clash