Arsenal showed no sign of raising the white flag in the Premier League title race with a 2-0 victory at Newcastle United on Sunday to close the gap on leader Manchester City to one point.
Defeat would have left Arsenal’s hopes of a first title since 2004 hanging by a thread but Martin Odegaard’s brilliant strike and a Fabian Schar own goal sealed a vital victory.
Newcastle, bidding to cement third place and take a big step towards a top-four finish, dominated early on but Odegaard’s sweet strike after 14 minutes gave the visitors the lead.
Schar then inadvertently turned in Gabriel Martinelli’s cross with 20 minutes remaining.
City, which has won 10 straight games to overhaul Arsenal, has 82 points from 34 games with the Gunners on 81 having played a game more. Newcastle stays third on 65 but Manchester United could overtake it later on Sunday if it wins at West Ham United.
More to follow...
- India vs Sri Lanka LIVE Colombo weather updates, Asia Cup final: Will rain affect match today?
- India vs Sri Lanka LIVE Score, Asia Cup final 2023: IND vs SL Toss, Playing XI, Weather updates, When and where to watch
- SA vs AUS, 5th ODI Scorecard, commentary and streaming updates
- Topper in 2018, struggling now: The curious case of Saurabh Chaudhary
- Asia Cup 2023 most runs, wickets stats: Shubman Gill tops run-scorers list, Pathirana leading wicket-taker