Aston Villa has signed Italy midfielder Nicolo Zaniolo from Turkish Super League champions Galatasaray on a one-season loan for five million euros ($5.43 million), the clubs said Friday.
There is a “conditional compulsory purchase option” so if certain criteria are met Villa will pay another 22.5 million euros ($24.45 million) plus 15.5 million euros in possible add-ons to make the move permanent, Galatasaray said in a statement.
Zaniolo will likely replace Villa’s Argentine midfielder Emiliano Buendia, who suffered a knee ligament injury in training earlier this month and is out for an “extended” spell.
“I’m grateful to have been a part of this beautiful family,” Zaniolo posted on Instagram. “Together we have proven that when you are united, nothing is impossible. Lions family you are now a part of my heart and I promise I’ll never forget that,”
The 24-year-old shone at AS Roma, winning the 2022 Europa Conference League before moving to Galatasaray in February where he played 12 games and scored five goals as they won the title.
Villa were thrashed 5-1 at Newcastle United in their Premier League opener last Saturday. It hosts Everton on Sunday.
- FIFA World Cup 2034 to be played in Saudi Arabia, confirms Infantino
- PAK vs BAN: Pakistan keeps World Cup semifinal hopes alive after beating Bangladesh by seven wickets
- New Zealand vs South Africa live score, World Cup 2023: SA 37/0 (8); Bavuma, de Kock off to steady start
- David Willey announces international retirement after ODI World Cup 2023
- Asian Shooting Championships 2023: Aishwary Tomar wins 50m rifle 3P gold