New Zealand striker Chris Wood is set to join Nottingham Forest on loan from Newcastle.
Wood was completing a medical with Forest on Friday morning, Newcastle manager Eddie Howe confirmed.
The 31-year-old Wood joined Newcastle from Burnley for $34.5 million one year ago and helped the team avoid relegation. The Magpies are now fourth in the Premier League.
Wood could be available for Saturday’s game against Bournemouth if Forest registers him by midday Friday.
Financial terms weren’t disclosed but Howe said the loan is “a good deal financially for the football club.”
The 6-foot-3 Wood scored three goals in 22 overall appearances this season for Newcastle.
Howe, speaking at a news conference ahead of Saturday’s game at Crystal Palace, said he hopes to replace Wood before the transfer window closes “but there are no guarantees.”
Wolverhampton forward Goncalo Guedes has joined Benfica on loan for the rest of the season — just five months after signing with the Premier League club.
The 26-year-old Portugal international had moved to Molineux from Valencia for $33 million.
Guedes scored twice in 18 appearances for Wolverhampton and has now returned to Benfica, where he started his career.
He likely would have seen less playing time with Wolves after the arrival of Spain winger Pablo Sarabia from Paris Saint-Germain this week.
The financial terms of the loan weren’t disclosed.
- England vs Netherlands Live Score, World Cup 2023: ENG vs NED predicted playing XI; Toss at 1:30 PM IST
- Shaji Prabhakaran sacked as AIFF Secretary General
- Cricket World Cup diary: Tendulkar’s statue, nightlife at Park Street and unstoppable Team India
- England vs Netherlands, LIVE Streaming Info, World Cup 2023: When and where to watch ENG vs NED match today?
- Saudi Pro League champion Al-Ittihad sacks coach Espirito Santo