The Premier League unveiled the new Nike Merlin ball for the 2018-19 season and the ball is said to be the most technologically advanced ball yet.
Footballs are traditionally made up of 32 panels but the Merlin, which will be in use when the season gets underway on August 11, has just four panels - a world's first. Fewer panels gives players a larger striking surface, providing more sweets spots on the ball for players to strike shots cleaner and pass with greater accuracy.
Nike has integrated its All Conditions Control (ACC) technology in a football for the first time. With this technology, Nike claims that the players should have optimal touch and control in all weather and pitch conditions.
The ball, which is mostly white, also features black, purple and yellow colours. This is the fourth time Nike has picked a Merlin ball for the Premier League, the last time being the 2003-2004 season.
- WPL 2024: All-round show helps Delhi Capitals thrash UP Warriorz by nine wickets for season’s first win
- Hard work, determination and a bit of kismet: For RCB’s Asha Sobhana, WPL is just the start
- Indian sports wrap, February 26
- NBA: Clippers unveil new uniforms, logo for next season
- Bayern Munich signs Max Eberl as sporting director