A spectator died from a fall at Estadio Monumental during an Argentine Primera Division match between River Plate and Defensa y Justicia on Saturday.
River Plate said in a statement that “a supporter jumped into the void” from one of the upper sections and “died immediately” during the first half of the game.
Also Read | Fan arrested for ‘97’ slogan on shirt
The club added “no violent situation took place around him” and “within 30 minutes the stadium had been completely emptied.”
River Plate added local authorities were investigating the incident.
Referee Fernando Rapallini decided to suspend the scoreless match shortly after he was informed about the incident.
River Plate finished a two-year renovation of its stadium in March. Its capacity was increased from 72,000 to 83,200 seats.
- Coco Gauff vs Aryna Sabalenka Live, US Open 2023 Women’s Final: Gauff beats Sabalenka to win maiden Grand Slam title
- US Open 2023, Day 13 Order of Play: Gauff faces Sabalenka in women’s final, Pegula-Krajicek eye mixed doubles crown
- US Open 2023: Coco Gauff vs Aryna Sabalenka, Final Preview, Head-to-head record, live streaming info
- SA vs AUS HIGHLIGHTS, 2nd ODI: Australia beats South Africa by 123 runs, takes 2-0 lead
- Asia Cup 2023: Sadeera, Shanaka power Sri Lanka to win over Bangladesh